I thought it was just me, but I found a few others who appear to be experiencing similar/relevant problems.
Though I am not using the same OS and/or hardware, they do appear to be kernel related.
I upgraded from Debian Stretch (kernel 4.9.0-9) to Debian Buster (kernel 4.19.0-5) and experienced several lockups and freezes (on both a desktop [nvidia 560 GPU] and a laptop [Built-in IntelGPU]).
- On the desktop, I got kernel panics at boot time until I upgraded the BIOS (admittedly a very old PC, but still unexpected).
- On the laptop I also updated BIOS, but that didn’t help.
- A few of those lockups were triggered via FireFox+Kee – which uses Mono – I don’t know if this is relevant
- A lot of those lockups were triggered via FireFox+KeePassXC – which uses C++ – there were less after disabling the KeePassXC add-on.
- A few were triggered via VLC 3.0.7
I’ve reverted kernel to the 4.9.0-9 on both, and gotten back the stability which I’ve come to expect with Debian.
I don’t know if this is a kernel incompatibility with the apps mentioned, or just a kernel problem – I’ll post updates etc and welcome any comments or insight into the issue